Understanding Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy is typically caused by damage to the brain occurring at or before birth. The condition is marked by Impaired Muscle Co-ordination Spasticity and other disabilities. One out of every 50 children born are affected by Cerebral Palsy. The brain damage that leads to Cerebral Palsy can also lead to other health issues including vision, hearing and speech problems and learning disabilities.
How do we decide the appropriate treatment for Cerebral Palsy patients at the clinic?
- In young children, where spasticity is an issue and who do not have contractures or muscle shortening, the spasticity is controlled with therapy, splints and botulinum toxin injection.
- Children in the 4-6 years of age group with spasticity and muscle shortening are treated with a combined approach where spasticity is treated with botulinum toxic injection and shortening is treated with PMFR (Percutaneous Myo-Fascial Release).
- Children with lever arm disorder need single event multilevel surgery with percutaneous bony osteotomies to correct angulations and rotation along with multilevel aponeurotic release.
The Comprehensive Cerebral Palsy Clinic
- Center of Excellence: Jupiter Hospital is now a Center of Excellence for comprehensive treatment of Cerebral Palsy.
- Best-in-class infrastructure: Jupiter Hospital is one of the region's finest multi-specialty tertiary hospital. Spread across 3 acres and seven storeys, this 325-bed hospital conforms to global healthcare standards. This gives the patients comprehensive care, right from diagnosis to surgery to recovery under a single roof.
- Integrated treatment under a singe roof: Our Cerebral Palsy Clinic follows a multi-level therapeutic approach to provide maximum benefits to the child. This involves close co-ordination between Orthopaedic Surgeons, Physiotherapy and Occupational therapy experts, Neurologists and special educators along with behavior, cognitive therapy and speech communication methods. This integrated approach can show a remarkable improvement in children with CP.
- Innovation: Research and education are integral components of our clinic. These include Gait and Motion Analysis using cine-videography, research programmes to understand movement disorders, DOTS (Directly Observed Therapy and Splinting), Ultrasound Guided Botulinum Toxin Injection and Minimally Invasive Treatment of Muscle Contractures.
Cerebral Palsy Family Forum
Family forum is an initiative by Jupiter CP Clinic for the family and friends of CP kids, grown up CP children and professionals who are involved with CP kids. It is an open platform to discuss and address their socio-economical issus, educational issues, including accessibility, medical management, surgical management, therapy, diet and all other issues pertaining to Cerebral Palsy.